Pages

home about us portfolio tutorials diy home dec faqs contact Image Map

Friday, August 2, 2013

A Little Bit Steampunk!


When I first saw this little table, it looked pretty sad.  Although the top had some water damage, it had a great shape and really nice details.





I know it might sound weird, but we usually wait to paint a piece until we get a feel for it.  Sometimes it seems like a piece will just speak to you after a while. :)

For some reason, the shape and details of this table reminded me of the Disney animated movie, Tarzan. Just a little Steampunk: some hard edges but with some Victorian softness and curves. The top of the table had some raised areas that could be transformed into metal sheets and I was envisioning a softness on the sides and legs. 

After reading some blogs on faux metal techniques, we decided to go with faux zinc for the raise areas and the drawer front. I read a few tutorials on how to achieve this. I combined a couple of techniques. The primary instructions I used came from http://restoreinteriors.com/finishes/faux-zinc-video-tutorial/  and http://www.freckledlaundry.com/2010/07/faux-zinc-painting-tutorial.html   



The sides and legs were basecoated in a dark gray self-mixed chalk paint. I know...self-mixed...  I just can't bring my frugal self to splurge on the real deal.  Anyway, basecoated in a dark gray.  Then I did a heavy drybrush technique over top, in order to leave the recesses dark and bring out all that lovely detail. This gives the details very soft edges; a lot different look than glazing or antiquing. If you look closely, you can see all that wonderful softness.





The top and bottom brace were painted in a flat black enamel. Despite the details on the legs and the metallic front and panels, the top still needed something Steampunk-y. Gears...it needed some gears. I printed some gear clipart, cut freezer paper stencils, laid them out and went over the flat enamel top with some satin poly spray. I lifted the stencils off and VOILA' : gears!!

I removed the backplate from the knob and gave it a couple of coats of hammered metal spray paint.

Gorg - or what?


Here is the final reveal!




 It didn't take long for this little beauty to find a new home!


10 comments :

  1. I absolutely love what you did with this little table. It's beautiful. And it's already gone... a very lucky somebody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. It was a really fun piece!

      Delete
  2. wow, Your table came out beautifully. who would of thought gears, not me, but it looks great.
    Would love to see where you put it..........
    Thanks for sharing that lil beauty with us.

    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - you two do such awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total transformation, nice creative touches.
    Where are you planning on using it?
    ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ann. Actually, this piece went to a new home. I hope she's using it someplace where it can be a showstopper!

      Delete
  5. How fabulous is this! Love it. Thank you so much for sharing with us! Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. It was a blast to see it come together.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to read our blog. Your comments and questions are ALWAYS welcome.